poniedziałek, 19 stycznia 2015

Kool DJ Dee Interview (2013)



DZIURAWESAMPLE:  Your Dj career started in Brooklyn Mobile DJ group Fantasia Sounds?

KOOL DJ DEE: Larry B and I grew up together, we was like brothers. I really miss him. I know he's looking down on me from heaven. Larry B rained around the seventy's to 73. Brooklyn has a lot of DJ's at that time, but Larry B rose to the top as a MC. Larry B and DJ Chips and me was the Fantasia, at the beginning of my DJ career.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: What is your point of view about person like you in NYC? I mean there is good intentions to understanding of all hip hop history aspects, also this before Bronx?

KOOL DJ DEE: Old school DJ's like myself are treated well by people our age who remember back in the day. But the younger people don't know the history and don't care about old school DJ's. If you're not current in hip-hop you're not respected.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: In Queens did a lot of Rasta. Can You remember they played some reggae music in '60 or '70?

KOOL DJ DEE: Yes they play reggae music in Brooklyn, Queens to Manhattan and Bronx. It wasn't the same reggae music they played now. The music was more about revolution, love, and jail and we all know I Shot The Sheriff. Bob Marley was the biggest reggae star at the time in the seventy's.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: In early days Disco DJ was names of DJ's?

KOOL DJ DEE: The music they play now call house music in all actuality it's disco music. Just a different name. When hip-hop came out  Disco went into the clubs, for people who still like Disco. But Disco was dead so that it come up with a different name so instead of calling it Disco they called it house music. I know if you was the DJ that play Disco music you was called a Disco DJ, even if you played funk,reggie or slow music. Mobile DJs make the difference. They played a variety of music. If you went to a club you was going to hear what the DJ played or what he specialize in.

DZIURAWESAMPLE:  I found this awsome oldschool flyers. Do you remember what year it come from? Can you give me some info about oldschool DJ battled?




KOOL DJ DEE: That flies in the late seventy's early eighty's. I wasn't with Fantasia at that time. I say it happen at that time because the Patty Duke dance was out at that time. Also Eddie Cheeba and Starski was performing at that time. Listen Brooklyn has nothing to do with hip-hop at the time. Brooklyn was playing a different types of music. Hip-hop came from the Bronx, graffiti came from the Bronx. B boy dancing came from the Bronx. As you know, I lived in Brooklyn and move to the Bronx  And played a major role at the time of the birth hip-hop. So I know the truth because I lived it.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: What could you told about GM Flowers?

KOOL DJ DEE: I battled Flowers at a club in the Bronx call the Stardust Ballroom.  Flowers was 1 of my mentors, so I didn't try to embarrass myself. Flowers with a great blending DJ his mixing is always on point. I also battle Flowers at the Superstar 33 Club, I won the battle that night. Flowers was upstairs and I was downstairs and I had most of the people dancing on my floor.

You see the establishment control the music industry, they controlled Disco and everything you heard on the radio. But we the people control hip-hop. It made poor people feel empowered no longer could a black man only play basketball or be a drug dealer. He could be a DJ or a MC. Hip-hop was a movement that brought everything together and let everybody on earth to fell our pain. Hip-hop allow people to come together as One.

Imagine burn out buildings and rats running around stray dog in streets. Foul odor broken glass bottles, dark street. Feeling like you had no future. You asked me what sparked hip-hop it was rebellion  my friend. The establishment controlled Disco and all the music we heard on the radio. The music industry Disco was too happy and we wanted to express a anger and hip-hop allowed us to do that. The music industry  didn't know what to do with it they couldn't control it. We the people control the music, we said no more Disco.



Flowers, Pete DJ Jones and myself was consider to be disco DJ's. Africa Bambata and Flash and the rest of them don't consider us hip-hop DJ's. Technically I could show you on turntables but I'll try to explain. Disco DJ's played the full record. Hip-hop DJ played a part of the records. Hip-hop took just to beat part an extended it. DJ's played slow music so couples can get close. Hip-hop was beats all night. With regular DJ's if you was dancin you will wait for the good part of the record come so you can really dance hard. With hip hop that played just the good part of the records so you dance hard all night. I hope you understand.

I battled Bambata in Bronx river youth center. Bam present me with on award for being  Bronx number 1 DJ. I'm not sure but I think was in 1976.

I battle Grandmaster Flash at the Savoy Manor, and I won the battle. I also battle Flash at Auborn ballroom. But what was significant that night, is that we perform on the same stage that Malcolm X was shot on. That was a very special night.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Do you remember what folks was palyed music in Duke and Rassberg Freeze?

KOOL DJ DEE: They had a lot of mobile DJs playing there Pete DJ Jones, Flowers Moboya, Rip and Cliff (Rip was Pete DJ Jones friend and inspired him to be a DJ; assigned DZIURAWESAMPLE), Soul Brothers. That's who I remember playing at the Raspberry Freeze.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Your first radio took from your mother. Do you remember what type of radio it was?

KOOL DJ DEE: It was a Hi Fi set with tubes. It was made in Germany. It has bass and treble. I learned a lot when I took it apart.


DZIURAWESAMPLE: In the beginning Brooklyn Dj played R&B. Do you remember in what year Disco music push off R&B?

KOOL DJ DEE: I think it was 1972 to 73 when Donna Summers came out disco blew up then studio 54 open up also clubs like the Garage.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: When you raised in North Carolina, did you see Dj plays in turntable or from tapes?

KOOL DJ DEE: I left North Carolina when I was 7 years old. I was raised in New York Harlem in Brooklyn then Bronx. My mother gave a lot of parties. I use to stay up at night, listening to the people party and the music. I was fascinated how people like to dance and how happy they was

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Your mentor was Pete Jones. What he was learned you?

KOOL DJ DEE: What did I learn from Pete DJ Jones? Pete teach to me about programming. Programming the a play list. He taught me about the business and of DJing. And to have fun while I'm doing it.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: In what parks, clubs, spots you was played in BX?

KOOL DJ DEE: Well I played Rosedale Park, Bronxdale, Soundview, Bronx River Junior High School 123 Valley park. Just to name a few so many. I can't remember do clubs was  Executive Playhouse, Stardust ballroom, Sovor Manor and a lot of the after hour spots. Again can't remember everything.

Kool DJ Dee at Small Paradise in Harlem in 1975.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: After Bambaataa help you in your first party in Bronx River Center, he speak with you in the same night?

KOOL DJ DEE: I don't know what you mean by Bam helping me, you mean the day. I played in Bronx river circle and Bam gave me electricity?? Yes we did talk that day I knew Bam he was  my War Council  while I was in the Blacks Spades.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: In your opinion Bboys dance was created in Herc first parties?

KOOL DJ DEE: I don't know if it happened at Herc parties first but it was from the Bronx

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Did you ever met Ghetto Brothers? They probably first who conclude hip hop philosophy, negative to positive. It is strange for me, that they are not enough mention contributed with hip hop.

KOOL DJ DEE: The Ghetto Brothers that I know was a street gang in the Bronx in the seventy's. I know the only as a street gang, I never knew they had a band.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Do you first heard about music band Ghetto Brothers from my message? Please express your opinion about GB contribution in hiphop.

KOOL DJ DEE: Yes I first heard about the Ghettos  Brothers from you as a music group. I only knew them as gang members. With all due respect to the Ghetto Brothers, I never played in the music from the album and I don't see the connection.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: When you was with Fantasia did you play solo in Bx?

KOOL DJ DEE: When I was with Fantasia I had no equipment. DJ Chips and I had creative differences. So I left Fantasia and went out on my own. I worked and saved my money and got my equipment. That was a start of Kool DJ Dee in the Bronx in 1973.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: In what exacly part of Bx you lived?

KOOL DJ DEE: The part of the Bronx I live was called Soundview.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Did you ever be in Disco Fever club?

KOOL DJ DEE: Yes I use to go to Disco Fever to relax I never performed there it was a lot of DJ's there and we'd like to drink and talk.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: In what year first time played in BX River Center? 

KOOL DJ DEE: The first time I played in Bronx River was 1974.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: You are one of very first Zulu members, yes? Could you decribe how was as a change from Black Spades to UZN? 

KOOL DJ DEE: I was in the Black Spades the First Division First Chapter. And I was the president. BAM was my war Counselor. I started playing music And the gang banging alone. Then BAM took my division and made it into Zulu Nation

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Could you give more information about your music partner - Tyrone?

KOOL DJ DEE: Tyrone is my brother from the same mother. He begin the Djing with me in 1974. He had been credit for doing for stretching. Other people said it was Theodore.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: What was type your first equipment? (This GLI Mixer which pix you sent to me??

KOOL DJ DEE: Yes the pic of the GL I was my first mixer, also I got some of the KD crew looking for mixtapes of me playing in the parks or any clubs.



DZIURAWESAMPLE:  What was the difference between you and Dj Chips? It was about music style, he was leader, and he did not accept your ideas?

KOOL DJ DEE: Yes it was Chips equipment and we had different tastes in music Larry B was trying to get us to combine the 2 music types together. But it didn't work. I love playing music and I didn't want to be restricted in what I wanted to play so I left.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Tyrone, your brother. In what year he was invented scratch technics? Did he was play with other cats?

KOOL DJ DEE: 1975 or 76. It happen in Prince George Hotel it actually was a mistake he pitched up the record, it slipped out of his hand he pulled back, let it go, pull the back.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: In this gigs in Prince George Hotel, what it was? Only your performance or another group was there?

KOOL DJ DEE: Yes there were other DJ's playing on different floors at the Prince George Hotel I'm not too sure but I believe it was Flowers and Pete.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Do you ever recorded any music in official? I mean vinyl 12" or something like that?

KOOL DJ DEE:  I never recorded any vinyl music.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: In what year did you first heard about Zulu Nation? When did you first saw UZN emblem?

KOOL DJ DEE:  Heard about the Zulu Nation about 78.

DZIURAWESAMPLE:  Rap music, style of rapping was created about 1978. Are you agree with this?

KOOL DJ DEE:  Rap was out for a long time it was rapping on the mic from 71 to7 7 that was talking on the mic. Then out to 77 they started chanting on the mic and rhyming. So yes I agree with that.



DZIURAWESAMPLE: Could you decribe style of MC'ing and Dj'ing your brother's, Tyrone?

KOOL DJ DEE: The style of music me and my brother played is the foundation for all the DJ's you here today. We mix records so you couldn't hear the mix and we also cut record on beat. I can explain it but as soon as I find someone with a mixtape of me you can hear it.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Did you ever have manager?

KOOL DJ DEE: Disco King Marrio use to be my manager for a little while.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Did you write your names of walls?

KOOL DJ DEE: Yes I did write my name on the subway lot in the seventy's.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Bronx back then was very gangs place, people lived in smalls place. But what are you refer to that - you was in 1st division of Black Spades and do not know about Ghetto Brothers music. So people in 70 in Bx lived day by day at his small place ...

KOOL DJ DEE: Yes I was in the First Division First Chapter I was the President of that Black Spade Division. The Ghetto brothers what's a rival gang I was friends with some of the Ghetto brothers we went to school together at Stevenson H.S. I never heard their music, and I didn't know that they had a music group. Yes the Bronx is a small place but all cultures was separated at that time.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Hip hop music for me always was fusion of funk, sould and all black music but rock too. And you was do it in this way. That fusion with breaks. Please write to me about your first partie in Nobel Park.

KOOL DJ DEE: At that time I lived at elder Avenue it's a mile and a half away from Noble Park. A bunch of Spades carrie my speakers down to Noble Park, It was a Sunday. I setup and hooked up to the electric panel in the street light. There was electricity in the air it was exciting, people didn't know what was going on. when I started playing it was a handful of people there. But you could hear my music from miles away and people follow to sound to the park. Before I knew it, there was a thousands of people there. You had families there and drug dealers, kids running around, that day there was no crime in the area. Kids around the set watching me people treat me like a king I guess you could say I was a Ghetto Star.



DZIURAWESAMPLE: You and Tyrone was a crew? You have a name?

KOOL DJ DEE: I had a crew called the KD Crew there was Al Gee, CEE B, Willie Will, Fever Dee, Lee, Norman, ST. Most of them are not alive now.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: What was your favorites music group or singles, that you was played. Did you have your playlist?

KOOL DJ DEE:  Mexican by First Base, Apache, Scorpio, Sex Machine by James Brown Love Is The Messages that was some of my favorites.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: In Nobel Park, who played there too, Disco King Mario or anothers pioneer?

KOOL DJ DEE:  Oh yeah Lovebug Starski was there Busy Bee Starsky came by next DJ Hollywood was there, BAM. I was before everyone else other than Herc. I introduce Disco King Marrio to music, he was there to help carry my equipment and he was with me for a couple years until he got his owns system. Oh yeah Lovebug Starski was there Busy Bee Starsky came by DJ Tex, DJ Hollywood was there BAM. All the Pioneer names I mention was not DJ ing at that point.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Ok, they did not rocked in high level like you, so could you confirm this, You was the very first Dj in Bx who was real Dj? Could you mention about others early 70th Dj?

KOOL DJ DEE: When I started playing in the Bronx there were only Pete DJ Jones and Cool Herc. Then Grandmaster Flash come along later. Busy Bee was my MC for a while. No Dj Tex and Busy Bee wasn't homies. They knew each other through  the music. There was a lot of DJ's in Brooklyn at that time but in the Bronx other than Pete DJ Jones, Yes I was the first real DJ to play outside Noble Park

DZIURAWESAMPLE: You was played in few spots, but what was your main spot?

KOOL DJ DEE: The club I played in the most was Nell Gwens located in Manhattan at 42nd Street and Park Avenue. It's no longer there now.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Dee, you was introdused Disco King Mario into music, please describe this happen. Whose you intodused into DJ too (I know about Bam)?

KOOL DJ DEE: I knew Marrio from the Black Spades. He heard me play at a block party on
Wheeler Avenue. He was so amazed when you saw it . He wants to know how everything works. So from that point on Marrio was around me coming to my house hanging out with me. At first he was my manager finding me places to play. Then he started talking on the microphone. He came up with the name Disco King Marrio he started saying Chuck Chuck City Disco King Marrio while on my system. It was Mario idea for me to play and Noble Park and Bronxdale.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Did you ever had a music pupil?

KOOL DJ DEE: Yes I have a lot of pupils but it wasn't like I was teaching each. First they learned like I learn watch and learn. Their go out buy 2 turntables and a mixer and the next thing you know  DJ's. That's how works in the beginning.

DZIURAWESAMPLE:  In interview on thafoundation page, GWT mention your person …

KOOL DJ DEE: I see this spell my name with, its amazing how this djs don't like to talk about me. What  Theodore fail to mention in that interview, he was using my system while he was battling flash at Monroe High School.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Do you remember guy named Dj Smokey?

KOOL DJ DEE: I don't know that guy DJ Smokey.



DZIURAWESAMPLE: GWT do not mention about this battle, Could you develop this subject? You played there first?

KOOL DJ DEE: I believe that Marrio was supposed to play that night but something happened to his system. So I let him use my system. Monroe High School was packed, At that time Theodore didn't have a system. He went around to DJ to DJ playing music with arm full of Records. I had a loud and clear system, So when Theodore played sur sur per per.... sperm. That took skill, But he did it on my system That show was history. And by the way Flash did his thing too.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Flash used your system too? That was first time when Theodore played 'sur sur per per sperm'

KOOL DJ DEE: No all the DJ's played that record  super sperm, But it was the first time DJ broke down the syllables in the mix.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Do you remember in what year he used your system? 77,78?

KOOL DJ DEE: I'm not sure but I would say 78.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Ecstasy Garage, did you played ther often? 

KOOL DJ DEE:  No I might of played there 1 or 2. Times. Some of those flies At the Garage I wasn't there.



DZIURAWESAMPLE: What are you thinking about this oll hip hop movie? (Wild Style, Beat Street)

KOOL DJ DEE: To me have been living In the seventies eighties nineties. Those movies not the truth to me. There's always something wrong The scenery The way they dress And the sling they use And even the way they dress.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Did you use Amen Break in your playlist? 

KOOL DJ DEE:No I don't believe I ever used any of their beats


DZIURAWESAMPLE: Did you be in Hoe Avenue in 1971 ?

KOOL DJ DEE: Yes I was a round Hoe Avenue in 1971. In the beginning it was a little uncertain that the meeting was even going to take place. at the time a lot of people was getting hurt or killed and was being blamed on different gangs which started a fight with different rival gangs. the crimes that was being committed wasn't done by the gangs, we believe it was the 41st pct. Fort Apache. It was at the boys club on Hoe Avenue and 174 Street. after the meeting was over we all felt relieved. no more war for a while we could walk around with our colors on in different territories.

DZIURAWESAMPLE: Did you discussion with Bam about yours impact in hip hop?

KOOL DJ DEE: BAM knows my own impact on hip hop but like I told you before that's politics. I do believe there was a conspiracy to not say anything about me and promote other people. But what happens in the dark always comes out in the light.


















Kool DJ Dee & DJ Chips Reunion at 26.03.2013

Be sure to check out:

DJ Chips's website@

Brak komentarzy: